Jesus, by giving His perfect life as a payment for ours, so we may live eternally with Him in heaven, showed the true meaning of sacrifice and love. Now we as Christians must show the world the love we have been given, no matter the opposition we face. We must all be Lions of God. Jesus said, "I am the Way, and the Truth, and the Life. No one comes to Father except through Me." We can be the first glimpse of light, leading our peers, our family members, our enemies towards the true Light.

Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Perception

I can't stand young adult fiction right now. Specifically, the paranormal romance. I feel I have a right to judge, because I am a published author, but beyond that, there is a spiritual dislike I want to share with you.
Almost every teen love story has the 'boy whose smile made me dizzy' or 'his eyes were like lightning bolts down my spine' (huh, that actually itsn't half bad...) or 'he was so mysterious, like a magnet between us.'
*Gags* Why do I hate this? Some of these books I have read. Some of them are actually pretty good. But there is a reason WHY this bugs me.
Jesus.
Isaiah 53:2 He hath no form nor comeliness; and when we shall see him, there is no beauty that we should desire him.
3 He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not.
Basically, "He wasn't ripped, he looked like any other average guy, and no one would take a second glance at him. Everyone hated him, he was full of sorrows, and we didn't even want him to look at us. We didn't even care about Him."
If we are led to believe that the heroes, our Princes in Shining Armour (or Ladies in Silks and Lace, for you guys) are all supposed to be these glorious, jewels for eyes, pretty as a magnolia in May type characters, we are missing one of the points Jesus made. I am not hating on pretty people, I am simply reminding you that the one person you should look up to, the ONLY person you should idolize, and the ONLY 'team' you should be on, wasn't what you've been led to believe.
Even the Jesus paintings depict a sort of Caucasian looking guy with flowing hair, thin nose, shiny beard. Geographically, none of that was real.
I know, I know, Jesus' purpose has nothing to do with how He looked, but it does matter how we perceive Him, and in turn, those around us. The 'mystical' boys in the books and shows, the alluring women on tv, the 'beauty is power' mindset, NONE of that honors God. Jesus changed the world. He is your idol. Not because of how he looked, but because of what He DID. Who He IS. And who YOU are in Him.

No comments: